Artifact sets enhance maximum damage, healing, abilities, and survivability. Players are required to use their limited Resin energy as the primary resource with which to farm Artifacts. Survival relies on a good balance between attack and defense. Many players focus on attack exclusively, and while Defense is important, there is a good reason for this. While there are tons of possible combinations, starting with a good base is key. Here’s everything players need to know about Defense in Genshin Impact.
One issue with increasing the Defense stat exclusively is that enemies in Genshin Impact tend to significantly rank up in their own damage resistance. Players that intend to get through the game will need to increase their character’s base damage as much as possible, and thus will often overlook their defenses. Damage output is decreased by the amount of defense a player has as well as by how much defense an enemy has. Ultimately, a pure Defense build will not be useful.
Another issue with a pure Defense increase is that enemy damage often leaves the player stunned or dealing with status effects that they will have to correct later. Having a low damage output but a high defense, in the long run, won’t actually be very helpful for players. The solution to this is to focus on increasing overall HP. This will not limit the amount of damage taken by individual attacks but will give players enough HP to take a few attacks and keep fighting.
One thing to note is that players can collect any flower-based Artifact and expect to gain HP from it. This is a good way to rack up HP while focusing on collecting Artifacts that will specifically boost other stats such as Damage. Likewise, working on specific builds that cover a multitude of stats will be the best way to increase overall damage resistance. There are very few Artifact sets that only increase Defense, and thus players should take a look at these Artifact sets to become well rounded:
Maiden Beloved Artifact Set
- Two set-pieces: Character Healing Effectiveness +15%
- Four set-pieces: Using an Elemental Skill or Elemental Burst increase healing received by all party member by 20% for 10s
Travelling Doctor Artifact Set
- Two set-pieces: Increases incoming healing by 20%
- Four set-pieces: Using Elemental Burst restores 20% HP
Gladiator’s Finale Artifact Set
- Two set-pieces: ATK +18%
- Four set-pieces: If the wielder of this artifact set uses a Sword, Claymore, or Polearm, increases their Normal Attack DMG by 35%
Berserker Artifact Set
- Two set-pieces: CRIT Rate +12%
- Four set-pieces: When HP is below 70%, CRIT Rate increases by an additional 24%
Instructor Artifact Set
- Two set-pieces: Increases Elemental Mastery by 80
- Four set-pieces: After causing an elemental reaction, increases all party members’ Elemental Mastery by 120 for 8s
Nobelesse Oblige Artifact Set
- Two set-pieces: Elemental Burst DMG +20%
- Four set-pieces: Using an Elemental Burst increases all party members’ ATK by 20% for 12s. This effect cannot stack